Read any bulleted, popular article on team-building and you see the same ideas recycled over and over again. “You need one creative, one communicator, one doer, one thinker…” and the list goes on.
In reality, this method isn’t truly practical and doesn’t automatically equal success. People are more than just one thing. The individual brain and how it influences behaviors, thoughts, feelings and communication is a complex realm of study.
Personality Profiling Is an Essential Component to Successful Hiring
Much of what motivates and empowers workers is their own personality. When you spend 40+ hours a week in a role, shouldn’t it be a role that jives with how you see yourself, how you view others and what interests and drives you? This is where personality profiling comes in, helping hiring managers find and position people correctly within organizations, setting them up for success.
[bctt tweet=”Much of what motivates and empowers workers is their own personality.” username=”stevesisler”]
I worked with one company and offered personality profiling for 28 percent of their hires. They handled the other 72 percent on their own. After three years, the turnover rate for employees they selected without Behavioral Resource Group’s insight was 70 percent. But 74 percent of all employees who were hired with our guidance were still at their jobs, proving successful in their roles.
It’s a fact: when you match people to positions based on personality plus qualifications, there are proven higher retention rates versus hiring based on qualifications alone.
What Personality Profiling Shows vs. What It Doesn’t
Hiring managers interested in incorporating personality profiling to the pre-employment screening process should know what it measures and what it doesn’t.
Personality profiling does not reveal:
- Skill level
- Moral character
- Past conduct
Personality profiling does reveal:
- What the brain likes to do
- How the brain sees the world
- What the person values most
- What the person desires most
Ask the Right Questions
When developing a big-picture view of the right personality type for any given role, I like to ask three questions about the future employee’s daily responsibilities in their job:
- What will they be doing?
- Who will they be doing it with?
- Who will they be doing it for?
You’re looking for a good fit. That means you shouldn’t place a task-oriented personality in a people-centered position. You shouldn’t pair two dominant, power-driven leaders and make them share. You shouldn’t place a detail-oriented, anal manager in charge of an easily-distracted, yet successful, salesperson.
It Starts with Your Ad
Besides developing a detailed perspective on the attributes of the new hire, the first step in attracting the right people is being specific when writing the advertisement.
If you’re looking for a strategic, rational person who thinks logically, say so.
“Applicant should thrive in completing projects step-by-step. They should have the drive to follow through and complete one task before starting another.”
When your ideal candidate reads the description, they want the job because they know it’s a perfect fit. When a possible candidate reads the description and sees their skills match up, but the execution-style might not be ideal for them, they’re less likely to apply. And our in-depth testing throughout the hiring process reveals these facts to the companies who work with us.
Intuitive, Invaluable Hiring Insights
As your company goes through the hiring process, wouldn’t it help to have a comprehensive personality profiling method offering data to guide your decision-making? Behavioral Resource Group can help – call us today and learn more about our hiring insights and analysis.